Featured Post

Avoid Quarter 2 Blues: Save Time with a new Google Classroom

For those of you ending the quarter, now is the time to create a new Google Classroom for each of your classes. Organizing new classes will...

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Who is doing the work?

As a TLI department, we've been reading blended learning expert Dr. Catlin R. Tucker's new book Balance with Blended Learning: Partner with Your Students to Reimagine Learning and Reclaim Your Life. Chapter 3 is entitled, "Who is Doing the Work in Your Classroom?" I love this question.

Tucker shares that teachers often shy away from jumping into blended learning because "they are not sure where they will find the time to try anything new" (29). And she gets it. She shares:

"For years, I was trying to stay above the tidal wave of work that threatened to drown me."

And then, about 5 years ago, she made the decision to pass as much of the work on to her students as possible.

Her argument is that if we design the whole project, from process to product to rubric, we rob the students of the opportunity to think critically and creatively about the standards, plan for success, troubleshoot problems, and determine what makes it a success. When they do the work, they own it.

It is easy to think, "What about the kids who..." but every time I've given up control and had students do the work or given students the tools to lead, I've been pleasantly surprised by their engagement, even if more scaffolding was needed to support them through the struggle. 

On a smaller scale, I thought about planning for a reading assignment for a class. It can seem easier to provided reading questions to guide them through a text, but then I am telling them what is important, as I did the hard work of reading. If I spent my energy teaching a reading strategy that helps students to identify what is important or drafting their own questions before reading, the student-led workflow frees me to coach their original thinking and not exhaust myself creating and grading a worksheet.

Not only that, but this made me connect back to one of my favorite Cult of Pedagogy posts entitled "To Learn, Students Need to DO Something" (Gonzalez, 2018). In it, she points out that if the teacher is doing all the work, students probably aren't doing much learning.

I can see how making students do this work will take more time, but I liked Tucker's answer to that concern: "If we are worried about asking too much of our students, then I would argue that we need to be more judicious about the tasks we require students to complete' (32). 

I guess even before we ask "Who is doing the work?", we should ask "Do we really need to do this?"

-Jessica Gillespie

3 comments:

  1. Well said and some good reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'd love to hear more about people's experiences with this question.

      Delete
  2. While visiting different learning environments, I’ve found it fascinating to keep the actions of the learners at the forefront. What are the learners doing? That observational data allows for productive collegial dialogue and reflection. I appreciate your final point in asking the question, “Do we need this,” because I think relevance in learning is of utmost importance now more than ever. In affording students the opportunity to co-illustrate their educational portrait, we must be able to answer, without hesitation, a student’s inquiry as to why specific outcomes “matter.” If one cannot answer that simple question, then why are we spending the time teaching it?

    ReplyDelete

Have something to ask or add? Let us know! We have moderation turned on (just in case), but we will be sure to approve new comments each week day.