Featured Post

Avoid Quarter 2 Blues: Save Time with a new Google Classroom

For those of you ending the quarter, now is the time to create a new Google Classroom for each of your classes. Organizing new classes will...

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Google Forms for Parents (New School Year Ideas)


I have followed Kasey Bell's Shake Up Learning blog for years, and just started listening to her podcast. One of her latest, 30 Ways to Use Google Forms in the Classroom, reminded me of just how many ways there are to use this great Google tool. I particularly liked two for the start of the year:

#10 Parent Information. Once I went paperless for my high school syllabus, I began asking for electronic acknowledgement from parents. Normally parents return a sheet at the end of a big packet of paper with a signature, but students were always losing these AND I seldom got them all back. By emailing all parents the form with the syllabus link embedded on top, I saved paper and had more parents engaged with the syllabi than before because they could access it from their phone. Click here to view (and here to make a copy of) my template if it helps!

A great idea from the podcast for those working on GRADE LEVEL TEAMS was to send one form with a parent questionnaire for the group and share the spreadsheet, saving parents from having to fill out the same information multiple times.

#23 The Parent/Guardian Communication Log. While I used a spreadsheet for this, not everyone is proficient in Google sheets, making this a great "access anywhere" alternative. I also like that it can automatically collect the date, remind me to include parent information (i.e. was it Mom or Dad!), and lots of open space to summarize our communication. I also like that in the results, I can print each "individual response" sheet to share with administration if needed for an office referral.

There are so many great ideas... let us know which one is your favorite in the comments!😁

-Jessica Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to ask or add? Let us know! We have moderation turned on (just in case), but we will be sure to approve new comments each week day.